The Orphanage was founded in 2004 by local funders with the arrival of David Otieno aged 5 who lost both parents to Aids. Later the other children came from social services and the police after finding many children abandoned near the orphanage and on roundabouts in the City of Mombasa. Of the 59 children of the home 50% are HIV positive so the care required is paramount. The children receive special dentist care and have a strict nutritional diet.
There is an adjacent School for the Children founded in 2009 teaching all subjects and assistance for the teachers will be required. A small clinic is attached to the orphanage where volunteers are welcome to assist.
A unique experience to eat and sleep within the Orphanage for the ultimate experience of working with the children, Bedtime is 9pm as the children wake for school very early. So you could find yourself reading bedtime stories to some very happy children. Your rooms can house up to four volunteers in well kept, clean and comfortable rooms. There is a communal private area where you can relax in the evenings with a book or a beer. Though the days are long, you will find yourself ready for bed after bedtime stories.
Upgrade existing orphanage kitchen & drinking water facilities.
• Organize & assist with events & day trips at the school & orphanage.
• Assist in teaching music & arts alongside Kenyan teachers.
• Build rainwater harvesting systems & improved hand washing facilities.
• Assist with educational program on improved childhood health & well-being.
• Assist and support staff with day-to-day care of children at school & orphanage.
NB: A typical day start at 7am and finishes at 6pm
List of facilities in volunteer accommodation:
• Food will be served with the children – full board
• Coffee and tea making facilities in the private volunteer area
• A private bathroom
• Comfortable lounge area with fridge
• Sharing accommodation up to 4 volunteers